Ilha de Moçambique
The fortified city of Mozambique is located on this island, a former Portuguese trading-post on the route to India.
The Portuguese established a port and naval base in 1507 and built the Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte in 1522, now considered the oldest European building in the Southern Hemisphere.
During the 16th century, the Fort São Sebastião was built. It withstood Dutch attacks in 1607 and 1608 and remained a major post for the Portuguese on their trips to India trading in slaves, spices, and gold.
The cannon and the cross….Ilha de Mozambique was named after the sultan of the island in the times of Vasco da Gama. This name was subsequently taken to the mainland country which is modern-day Mozambique, and the island was renamed Island of Mozambique.
The island in itself is not very big, about 3 km long and between 200 and 500 metres wide. A 3.8 km bridge was erected in the 1960s to connect it to the mainland.
Its remarkable architectural unity is due to the consistent use, since the 16th century, of the same building techniques, building materials (stone or macuti) and decorative principles.
The Church of Santo António
O Escondidio – our hotel – a converted colonial home with high ceilings, wooden floors and a Juliet balcony.